In this issue:
We are delighted to share with you this video during this special time of giving: https://vimeo.com/120642202
Please share it with the friends in your community as we enter the blessed time of the Fast.
The Feast Letter this month is from our National Treasurer, Juana C. Conrad. We look forward to hearing highlights of consultations with the believers in your communities about what we can each do to help win the National Fund goal of $32 million by Ridvan. We would love to receive stories or highlights by email at email@example.com In addition, we have sent the following letter to all Local Spiritual Assemblies and Registered Groups in advance of this Feast - please click here to access it.
Above are the links to download the most recent versions of the newsletters for kids and for youth and junior youth that were mailed to every registered Baha'i child and youth in the U.S. from ages 4-7 and also from ages 12-18. Please also let the children's class teachers in your community know about this resource. Enjoy!
Note: for additional materials check out brilliantstarmagazine.org
If your community is hosting a fundraiser or otherwise receiving in-kind donations, the following are some items to keep in mind:
1. When receiving items for auction the donor’s receipt should only contain a description of the item or items donated. It is up to the donor to value the items for tax purposes. If the treasurer puts a value on the receipt and the IRS disagrees, then the Local Spiritual Assembly becomes liable for the taxes due and a fine.
2. The treasurer can put a value on a receipt for in-kind contributions when the value can be fixed by a receipt for items purchased. An example of this is giving an individual a receipt for Feast refreshments based on a receipt showing the items purchased from a local grocer.
3. When receipting items purchased at an auction or goods or services received at a fundraiser, the fair market value of the items, goods or services must be deducted from the total received to determine the charitable contribution.
4. If an in-kind contribution is valued at over $5,000 the IRS has special rules regarding documentation and valuation of the tax deduction for the contributed item. If you receive a high value item, please go to the IRS website (www.irs.gov) to review these rules.
5. The value of time contributed by an individual, no matter how well documented the value of that time might be, cannot be treated as a charitable contribution by the contributor.
6. Every receipt should have the following:(a) The name of the donor; (b) The date of the contribution; (c) A unique receipt number; (d) The name of the charitable organization receiving the funds; (e) The name or names of the Funds receiving the contribution and the amounts going to each Fund; (f) If any portion of the funds received are destined for use outside the United States, then the donor must give the US charitable organization authority to override the earmarking in order for the donation to be tax-deductible. This is done by the donor saying it is my “wish, hope and desire” that this contribution be sent to (name funds outside the US); (g) Treasurer’s signature.
*for further information contact the Office of the Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org
In this issue:
We are delighted that the American Baha'i community has come closer than ever to reaching its 3rd quarter goal. We reached $20.2 million as of January 31, 2015 and the third quarter goal was $21.5 million. This is exciting and something to celebrate!
With the special giving time of Ayyam-i-Ha approaching, we thought it timely to highlight the fact that the friends can contribute to the Funds in honor or in memory of loved ones using the Mobile Friendly Giving link or using the Online Contribution System. Please share this with the believers in your community. Note that when done electronically the card will be emailed immediately to the requested email address and when a hard copy card is requested it takes an average of 3 weeks for delivery. Happy Ayyam-i-Ha!
Enjoy this short video about this exciting new ability to contribute using a smart phone or tablet!
Just visit this link: www.bahai.us/fund
We are delighted to announce that the Baha'i Treasurers Bulletin (BTB) is now being sent to those believers in areas without a Local Spiritual Assembly or Registered Group. We hope this will be of benefit to these cherished friends, who live in these areas.